Monday, January 12, 2015

An afterthought

I can say with the utmost confidence that I have a newfound respect for social media, and the boons that can come with being diligent with a social media campaign. The biggest challenges one has to face is keeping up with your online appearances. It's so easy to slip and fall and lose all your hard earned momentum.

When it comes to building a loyal following, the only advice I can give is something I picked up in first term, and that is the Four Cs "Create Compelling Content Consistently", basically if you post relevant content on a regular basis, you will eventually build your audience. Will it be easy? Not at all, and it will take a very long time. A lot of the top Youtubers have said that it has taken upwards of a few years to get recognition, and even then, some of them got lucky with a viral post or a recommendation from an influential user for them to reach where they are today.

Another valuable lesson learned was knowing where your target audience are. In my case, we were doing social media for a Vancouver realtor, and we found that the audience we were looking for was mostly on Facebook. Unfortunately this is something we learned rather late in the game, so the engagement we were looking for was a lot less than we were hoping for.

Overall, I am thankful for what I've learned, and I feel as though we've learned some very valuable skills. Whether building an audience for a company or building one's own online presence, the lessons learned in this class are sure to help me in any social media projects I am to undertake in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment