Monday, November 24, 2014

Why we should be more diligent about our online presence.

Today, I am writing anonymously in support of the point of this post.

Do you really want an online trail of your education at BCIT?

I don't think I want that, and so I created an anonymous profile to write my posts from this class.  Sure, my classmates will know who wrote this,  but that's not the point of me being anonymous.

What I think we've been overlooking here is the fact that anything posted online with your name could make an impression on someone interested in hiring you or working with you.  Although its not always admitted, I bet a google search is sometimes mixed into a selection process.

As we are going through the New Media Program at BCIT, we have been required to post things here, create live wordpresses there.  We have been doing this without stopping to think about what we want our name linked to in the future.

In the future, when someone googles my name, I want them to stumble upon the thesis I wrote for my undergraduate degree, maybe not random blog posts.

You have a lot of control of how the internet portrays you as long as you decide to take control of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment